Re: floating point exceptions

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 11:24:29AM -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost (Patrick Welche) writes:
>
> >After a -current/amd64 update, a sudden outbreak of floating point exceptions:
>
> >/usr/src/tools/gcc/../../external/gpl3/gcc/dist/gcc/tree-ssa-operands.c:1348:1:
> >internal compiler error: Floating point exception
> >Fetching message headers...
> >Floating point exception (core dumped) mutt
>
> >Any guesses?
>

> FPU usage in the kernel was enabled to support AES-NI for ipsec and cgd.
> A workaround is to comment out all aes_md_init() calls in identcpu.c.

Yes, this laptop is much happier now! I'm surprised as I was using the
patch on an AMD build box before it was even committed with only a cgd
speed-up to report. The unhappy laptop has a

cpu0: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8665U CPU @ 1.90GHz"
cpu0: features1 0x7ffafbff<TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE41,SSE42>
cpu0: features1 0x7ffafbff<X2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX>

Cheers,

Patrick