Re: atexit(), dlclose() and more atexit()

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 12:42:55AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> Actually, that one is a possible solution.  dlclose() is not required
> to do anything at all.   While having it never do anything isn't what
> we'd want, having it do nothing if there is a pending atexit function
> from the dynamic object (or even simply one registered by the dynamic
> object - though the problematic case, as I understand it, is when the
> function has been removed and so can no longer sensibly be called) is
> not a ridiculous suggestion.

There is precedence for dlclose doing nothing - it's a no-op in musl libc,
by design.

There are obvious downsides (servers with reloadable modules suddenly
have memory leaks) but that's arguably not critical.

Their justification can be found here:

https://wiki.musl-libc.org/functional-differences-from-glibc.html#Unloading-libraries