Re: regression: xen domU no longer supports "type=cdrom" vbd disk

At Tue, 9 Jun 2020 00:00:17 +0200, Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: regression:  xen domU no longer supports "type=cdrom" vbd disk

> On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 02:26:39PM -0700, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > I use xl.cfg "disk" entries like the following to mount a virtual CDROM
> > in a Xen domU:
> >
> >     'format=raw, vdev=0x5, access=ro, devtype=cdrom, target=/images/NetBSD-9.0-amd64.iso'
> >
> > However since upgrading my -current source tree I've been seeing:
> >
> > 	xenbus0: ignoring device/vbd/4 type cdrom
> >
> > As shown in this patch I had to comment out the core of the mentioned
> > change to be able to use an ISO image again as a virtual CDROM again:
>
> Actually this change matches what other OSes do with 'devtype=cdrom',
> we were an outsider here.
>
> For PV or PVH domUs you can omit the devtype keyword, it's only
> needed for HVM guests (if you want to boot from the cdrom image).

Ah OK, I think I understand, thanks!

Perhaps this could be mentioned quite explicitly in in the CHANGES file
(though that's not the first place I though to look, unfortunately)

Maybe the xen/howto on the wiki could be more explicit about mapping a
"image.iso" file to a disk vdev (perhaps instead of the currently less
helpful suggestions about mapping an existing actual /dev/cd0a device).

(Of course the xen/howto could use a lot of help.)

(Not to mention but also some upstream Xen docs seem to need updating
too, e.g. the xl-disk-configuration(5) manual page (that we
unfortunately do not seem to install in the xentools package).  Lots of
guides mention using "devtype=cdrom" any time an "image.iso" is used.)

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>