Re: How to load ffs module via boot.cfg?

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:

On Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 01:36:01PM +0300, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
I'd like to run amd64/MODULAR, but I have forgotten how to load modules via
the boot loader. In particular, I need FFS in order to boot.

To reply to myself: it works if I uncomment "-no file-system FFS". I do not
know whether I actually have ever had FFS as a module.

It's really easy.  Just fix your syntax:

	load=ffs

Also, you'll need to include a couple of dependency/required modules:

	load=ufs
	load=wapbl

And finally, there are a couple of options which are not yet modular.
You may need to remove some options from the modules' Makefile and
build custom modules.

In any case, amd64/MODULAR is not really that modular...

$ modstat | grep builtin | wc -l
    143

You can strip out a lot more modules and still have a functioning
system.  Mostly you can remove all the device drivers for devices
that don't exist, but there are other things, too.

FWIW,

$ modstat | grep builtin | wc -l
      21
$

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:     |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost     |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost   |