Re: radeon framebuffer console all dark

On Fri, 29 May 2020, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> from the dmesg, I see the "R300" firmware is loaded. is this correct?

I can only assume so.  I think I have a machine with an R300-class Radeon
device as builtin video and DRMKMS/framebuffer console worked fine on
it even with minimum memory.  Alas, it was too slow for playing video,
so I had to install an add-on video card (Radeon Sapphire X1550).

> Does dmesg tell exactly the card I have?
>
> pcictl pci0 list:
>
> 001:05:0: ATI Technologies product 5955 (VGA display)
>
> Not very informative.

If you load the "pciverbose" kernel module, you will get more descriptive
text about each device on the PCI busses, if there is a matching entry
for the device ID.  ISTR any expanded description will also display in
the output of 'pcictl'.

I've only ever loaded it at boot time with

  load=pciverbose

in the "/boot.cfg" file.

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD