Re: github.com/NetBSD/src 5 days old?

> Am 14.05.2020 um 04:52 schrieb matthew sporleder <msporleder%gmail.com@localhost>:
>

>> On May 13, 2020, at 10:11 PM, John Franklin <franklin%elfie.org@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 30, 2020, at 21:28, bch <brad.harder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought the plan to move to HG hasn't been finalised yet, am I missing something?  Plus, why HG and not Fossil, if the end-result consumption is via Git anyways?
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> There are scalability issues with Mercurial, too.  I cloned NetBSD src on a 1GB RAM, 1GB swap, 4 CPU VM (Debian Buster) using git from the GitHub project and from anonhg.netbsd.org.
>>
>> [...]
>
> This argument does not work. I went through the same goalpost moving exercise years ago and martin@ even got some efficiency patches into git as a result, but the super low memory shallow clone is not even good enough.

I think the argument works very well - at least to stay at CVS forever >:-)

I doubt that you'll find a modern solution running fine on any 4M computer.
Network filesystems, cross compilers etc. where invented to support machines
which can't provide all required resources for a job on their own.

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack - rehsack%gmail.com@localhost