Re: USB umass hard drive "failed to create xfers" when attaching

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 03:15, Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Feb 2020, Michael van Elst wrote:
>
> > paul%whooppee.com@localhost (Paul Goyette) writes:
> >
> >> So, sounds like "something somewhere isn't quite right (tm)".  I would
> >> have expected a memory allocation failure to automatically trigger some
> >> mechanism to reclaim some of the file cache...
> >
> > It's not the file cache. Freeing the file cache however also cleans up
> > other data structures in KVA space and that helps. Something that almost
> > always helps is to reduce the value of the kernel variable desiredvnodes
> > (you may restore it a few seconds later).
>
> Would that be ``sysctl kern.maxvnodes'' or some other variable?
>

> > Since free memory is not the problem, none of this is triggered
> > automatically.
>
> Got it.
>

> +--------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------+
> | Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:     |
> | (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost     |
> | Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost   |
> +--------------------+--------------------------+-----------------------+

I wonder if I hadn't had a problem in the same ballpark a minute ago.

On a 20GB laptop, after two days running pkg_rolling-replace, and
which also run zfs, I built qemu-4.2 replacing wip/qemu-4.1; the first
VM I tried was a Windows Server Next with 4GB memory, which started,
but on the rolling dots froze, freezing everything else; the machine
still responded to ping, but I was not able to log on the console or
break into the debugger with C-S-Esc, so I had to reset it. After that
the same VM started without any problem.

--
----