Re: Tar extract behaviour changed

In article <20191023213047.GA73056%bec.de@localhost>,
Joerg Sonnenberger  <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 04:58:05PM -0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> I am not advocating for either, perhaps we should just add -P to the
>> extraction and get over it :-)
>
>From what I can tell there are two completely separate issues:
>
>(1) Abuse of symlinks to shuffle the tree somewhere else. IMO whoever
>wants to do that should be using null mounts and deal with it
>appropiately in sysinst or whatever on their own.
>
>(2) Certain rc.d scripts populate a chroot with files from /etc and
>replace the original locations with symlinks.
>
>For that one, there are a couple of options:
>(a) Move the directories under /etc from base.tgz to etc.tgz.
>(b) Don't use symlinks, but null mounts. Possibly even ro-mounts.
>    Fix up existing setups in the rc.d scripts.
>
>(a) should be the easiest way to avoid that set of surprises.

I think that the reason that those files are in the base set and not
in etc is because they are expected to be managed by the system and
not customizable by the user. If we move them to etc, then postinstall
should handle them to preserve the user experience (of not having to
extract etc to upgrade).

christos