Re: firefox dumping core after NetBSD upgrade

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 12:38 Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 at 20:21, nia <nia%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:05:57AM -0700, bch wrote:
> > I quit running Firefox on my (-current) laptop months ago because the build
> > process (rust, esp) was so brutal. Have there been any community efforts to
> > organize the build artifacts from bleeding-edge environments to avoid
> > repeating (and failing, in my case) this most horrible build?
> >
> > -bch
> >

> There is wip/rust-bin. There are also various optimizations you can make
> to make it a bit less brutal. See my post here:
>
> https://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2019/08/13/msg029191.html

That was my point. It is heavy and annoying, but still doable on that
sort of a system; in my case I guess the 20GB memory help.

In my case it’s a very long build time, coupled w a very large storage requirement, at least for intermediate steps.

If there are public repos we can organize, would there be others interested? Do-able or not, I don’t think anybody disputes it’s still a massive build. I too rebuild my -current kernel and distribution ~daily, as well as my pkgsrc items, but ffox/rust have come to be non-starters for me in the last ~6 mos. Maybe others feel the same, or we can even apply for carbon credits for all the CPU time we don’t burn, and sell the credits to help fund the project?

I’ll look into wip/rust-bin, thx.

-bch

--
----