Re: dhcpcd ignores "force_hostname=YES" on diskless clients?

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019, Roy Marples wrote:

> If the hostname is "localhost" then dhcpcd won't send it.
> If the hostname is "localhost" then dhcpcd will set the hostname given via
> DHCP.

The hostname is not and never has been "localhost" but that's what it was
explicitly set to when 'dhcpcd' was doing the post-netboot configuration.
(Without "force_hostname=YES" it would have done nothing at all and left
it set to the short name obtained by the kernel's DHCP client.)

Observed on multiple boots on sparc-current before recent imports of
newer 'dhcpcd'.  I don't recall which version it was running at that
point.  It worked properly before then and works properly now, but there
was a period where it didn't work.

As for the i386 system, it hadn't actually been using 'dhcpcd', so was
always keeping its short name from the kernel DHCP client.  Once I
actually enabled 'dhcpcd' (dhcp keyword in "/etc/ifconfig.<ifN>"), it
worked as expected and set the hostname to the FQDN.

> So the only config change you should need to make by default is uncommenting
> ntp_servers.

I don't want 'dhcpcd' exfiltrating my hostname (it's nobody else's
business), so I always comment out the "hostname" directive.

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD