Re: NetBSD on a wireless router?

On Aug 15, 2019, at 14:57, reed%reedmedia.net@localhost wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2019, John Franklin wrote:
>
>> Are you absolutely committed to NetBSD? pfSense is an excellent
>> router/firewall distribution built on top of FreeBSD, with support for
>> whatever WiFi and hardware FreeBSD supports. I love NetBSD, but when I
>> need to set up a router, I just grab pfSense.
>
> :)
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pfsense+essentials+book+jeremy+c.+reed
>
> From its preface:
> [snip]

Oh, so you’ve heard of it!  :)

> I have probably used around eight different wireless cards on a few
> different hardwares running a few different versions of pfSense. While
> it works for me, I haven't had great reliability or performance with the
> wireless devices I've used there.

None of my pfSense routers have WiFi built-in, even though it’s an option.  The WiFi module my preferred hardware vendor offers is only b/g/n — no 802.11ac at all.  I don’t know if I would bother even if they did support AC, because I usually use the Ubiquiti APs for WiFi.  For WiFi performance and management on a budget, they’re hard to beat.  On occasion, I’ll use an old home router set to AP mode, until I get around to upgrading.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin%elfie.org@localhost