Re: Another exciting error building lang/mono...

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 15:12, <maya%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 02:50:52PM +0100, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> > BTW I just noticed there are no gnome packages in
> > /usr/pkgsrc/meta-packages any more, while there are still some in x11
> > directory - was there any announce that it has been phased out?
>
> It was GNOME2, I am under the impression GNOME2 doesn't build with
> updated libraries, and someone had considered removing it.
>
> An alternative is "MATE" which tries to continue the GNOME 2 spirit.

Yes, I am aware, I already have mate running on a few machines. At
some stage I had problems with it with respect to using different
keyboard layouts, so I reverted to gnome2 for a while; later I found
the problem.

I guess we have enough desktop environments even without gnome,
although it would be nice if cinnamon gets into pkgsrc proper; as I
mentioned above, it builds for me, but doesn't run very well - or at
all in a virtual machine.

--
----