Re: issues while doing pkgs update on py37-scons

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:

> it did not help: I still had a conflict, but it pointed to the
> issue. I removed py27-scons and reinstalled scons, which pulled in
> py37-scons and that worked.

Eventually, you will run into the issue that some programs wnat
py37-scons (because 37 is default) and some py27-scons (because that
program only allows 27, and this actually makes sense, becuase even
though scons is a tool it ends up running SConstruct which is a python
program).  py27-scons and py37- scons both provide scons, so they
conflict.   Nothing pkg_rr can do gets around this. With a bulk build,
only packages that are required are installed, so the previous scons
versions will have been removed.

One approach is to file bugs with upstreams that use scons asking them
to switch to autoconf :-) (That's a joke, as upstreams that dislike
autoconf the most are the most likely to have switched to scons.)

It seems awkward to have scons27 and scons37 and patch everything that
calls scons.  The other alternative is to hope software that is 27 only
is updated soon.