Re: usb device modifying state of another driver on plug/unplug event

blymn%internode.on.net@localhost (Brett Lymn) writes:

>I was thinking maybe at the wsmouse level but I don't think that knows
>where the events are coming from hence why I was thinking that the usb
>mouse driver could do something to tell the synaptics driver to disable
>sending events until futher notice.

>Thoughts?

Ideally the X server does know that multiple pointing devices exist
and selects a CorePointer (the primary pointer device) accordingly.
I don't think there is a hotplug policy, but you should be able
to switch with the xinput command.

With wsmouse this is unfortunately hidden as all events come from
a single device. You could configure X to use the individual wsmouseX
or hid devices instead, but then it didn't handle hotplug gracefully,
maybe it does nowadays? If not, the xf86-input-wsmouse driver could
be improved. It could also be changed to use multiple wsmouseX inputs
and expose these to the X server as individual pointers.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost