Re: disk mis-detection panic on HP Pavilion w/NVIDIA chipset?

On Fri, 31 May 2019, Andrius V wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 6:13 PM Andrius V <vezhlys%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 5:53 PM John D. Baker <jdbaker%consolidated.net@localhost> wrote:
> > >
> > > PR kern/54253
> >
> > I think it's a duplicate of my reported bug: 54217, though in my case
> > I do have two disks.

It does look like it.  I knew I'd seen that telltale "stge" in a cpu
backtrace somewhere, just didn't remember where.

I'll append my system data, etc. to PR 54217 and request 54253 be closed
as a duplicate.

> The workaround for me was booting into NetBSD 8 first, which usually

The machine has a fairly recent Linux Mint on the local disk and that
works fine.  I only netboot it (and sometimes boot a live USB image) to
test any changes/updates to "nouveau".  As such, it only ever boots
-current.

I do have a netbsd-8 live USB image I could boot before trying any boot
of -current.

> general. However, if it is reproducible in your setup which probably
> is seems to be quite different from mine, maybe this bug should have a

I haven't tried all the combinations yet.  Most recently, I booted it
to check the display resolution, so I immedately disabled "atabus" in
userconf so it would boot with "nouveau" active.  Then I was keen to
capture the panic, so rebooted and disabled "nouveau" in userconf.
It didn't panic.

I rebooted again without changing anything and it panicked (with black
screen during "nouveau" activation).  Somehow I did manage to get it
booted with both "nouveau" and "atabus" active, but I haven't made
thorough notes to see if there's a pattern other than its more likely
after power-on.

|\ / jdbaker[snail]consolidated[flyspeck]net  OpenBSD            FreeBSD