re: Fwd: port-amd64/43309: VX800 and CN896-VT8237S is not configured in RAID mode

Michael van Elst writes:
> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 09:21:38AM +0300, Andrius V wrote:
> > Attached list and dumps
>
> >     Base address register at 0x10
> >       not implemented
> >     Base address register at 0x14
> >       not implemented
> >     Base address register at 0x18
> >       not implemented
> >     Base address register at 0x1c
> >       not implemented
> >     Base address register at 0x20
> >       not implemented
> >     Base address register at 0x24
> >       not implemented
>
> That basically tells you that viaide1 doesn't really exist.
>
> I fear someone with more PCI knowledge than me needs to explain why there
> is a config entry at all.

probably laziness.

eg, the hme(4) chipset also includes an ebus(4) and so sometimes
on hme(4) plugin cards you can see an broken ebus(4) that fails
to attach.

this happens when the device answers enough config cycles to
appear to exist, but doesn't really exist because it is some how
disabled.

at best, we can probably make the driver fail sanely if there
are no required BARs.

.mrg.