Re: What to do with base X11 for netbsd-9 ?

My two pennies...

I use -current on an HP Envy 17 with what is reported as Intel 530
graphics. It also has an NVidia GeForce 950M chip, but this is not
usable for now by NetBSD, although correctly identified. The new
graphics driver together with the Mesa updates finally got me with a
proper 3D-accellerated graphics and perfectly running in full screen
video. I can run, e.g. six simultaneous copies of glmark2, it doesn't
break sweat. The accellerated 3D works fine in epiphany as well, as I
have mentioned in another email (but not in firefox 67.0). Hence, I
wouldn't like global switch back to the old Intel driver. Modesetting
works as well, but without any of the goodies mentioned above. I think
I've had a single Xorg crash while testing 3D, but it was perhapsp too
much. Earlier glmark2 used to crash on exit, not any more. The system
has been very stable for me for the last few weeks.

The only problem I have - as most of the rest have said - is with xdm,
the apparently cosmetic nisdiplay of the username and password echo.
There was a suggestion to bring back the old xdm; I don't know the
difference, but I can tell that I have similar problems not only with
xdm, but with gdm, kdm and slim as well. They all work, but show
different types of screen damage (e.g. gdm - slowly disappearing short
horisontal lines close to the bottom of the screen). The subsequent
envirinments - mate, kde, gnome - all work OK, no screen distorsions.
Previously I had weird looking wndows under xfce4 - the shadows
appearing solid, long delays moving windows around - but these are now
gone ( I start xfce4 from text mode with startxfce4 ).

So for me the built-in Xorg is getting to a rather usable state now.
There is a message about the two microcode files not being loaded
(even if I have placed the latest versions in the relevant location,
others have reported similarly ), but I am not aware if this makes any
difference for the Intel driver. It would have been nice if we had a
newer nouveau port and the GeForce card was supported, but this is not
a showstopper for me ( even under Linux the Optimus configurations
seldom work properly ).

Chavdar

--
----