Re: current long build time

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Hi all,

I am in the process updating (thus to test) my laptop (HP620 - dual core amd64) to current.

My first attempt failed, in userland because I used "-u" flag and clearly something broke.

Now I went the "Long" route

1) build tools, build kernel

2) reboot new kernel (works!)

3) rebuild tools to match kernel

4) build & install modules

5) build userland (-U -x)

I notice that 5) is running since yesterday evening, almost 24hrs now - I was accustomed to it to finish in a couple of hours, usually I was able to update during business hours. Is this expected, like are we compiling lots of new stuff... or is something going wrong that considerably slows down the process.

If you are building in-tree X then we are now building a bunch of LLVM stuff (needed for the new mesa). It takes a LONG time to build.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:     |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost     |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost   |