Re: init died

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 10:07:07AM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 10:58:10AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > Exit codes in init are unique. 11 is: it could not open /dev/console,
> > tried to mount a tmpfs on /dev and run /dev/MAKEDEV or /etc/MAKEDEV,
> > but that somehow failed and there still is no /dev/console.
>
> Thanks for the clue! What a surprise:
>
> # ls
> MAKEDEV.local   altq            fd              log
>
> so this box must have been running on a tmpfs /dev since ~forever
>
> I suppose one question is why it couldn't on after this update.
> (I'll just get it working...)

I see how this happened: ~forever was just last November.

- /dev/MAKEDEV exists on the disk after original installation
- forget to cd /dev && sh MAKEDEV all
- on boot, /sbin/init creates mfs partition and mounts over /dev
- it then runs the disk's MAKEDEV to populate mfs
- after the first update where MAKEDEV changes, postinstall deletes
  the MAKEDEV that is on the disk, and writes the new one to mfs
- on reboot, there is no longer a MAKEDEV on the disk for /sbin/init to use.

no more mystery...

Cheers,

Patrick