re: xdm issue (Re: 8.99.34 or later, /etc/X11-builtin/xdm

Makoto Fujiwara writes:
> Hi,
> I'm usually use X11 with following combination,
>
>   Let's Note CF-SX3 or Let's Note CF-SX2 with
>     xdm
>    fvwm
>
> With 8.99.34 or later, I'm getting two strange symptom.
>
> 1. xdm login screen gets retro style
> 2. starting xterm craches xdm
>   (FireFox works fine)
>
> By
>   sudo ktrace -t n xdm,
> I found following path inconsistency:
>   /etc/X11-builtin/xdm
>   /etc/X11/xdm
> New environment looks for  /etc/X11/xdm, but real one resides at
>   /etc/X11-builtin/xdm
>
> Now my work around is
>  sudo ln -sf /etc/X11-builtin/xdm /etc/X11/xdm
>
> Is this path change done intentionally ?

what is /etc/X11-builtin?  i've never heard of that and it does
not exist in the netbsd-8 or -current trees.  is there something
in your configuration that sets /etc/X11-builtin normally that
is not working now?

xdm was recently updated, and Xresources needs to be updated as
well, but this problem seems very odd to me.

thanks.

.mrg.