Re: Question about open ports

arthurbarlow%gmail.com@localhost (Arthur Barlow) writes:

>I'm using amd64 Current, (8.99.34), which I use as a desktop machine as
>well as an NFS file server.  When I scan the ports, I see the ones I
>expect, sun rpc, (111), and nfsd, (2049), but I also see 1021 - 1023 as
>listening ports.

Many ports are allocated dynamically and are not registered by IANA.
These are usually ports above ~50000 for regular programs and
ports below 1024 for 'privileged' programs that require root
permission to open.

The ranges are configurable with sysctl.

net.inet.ip.anonportmin = 49152
net.inet.ip.anonportmax = 65535
net.inet.ip.lowportmin = 600
net.inet.ip.lowportmax = 1023

In your case the NFS service also started mountd, status and nlockmgr
services. mountd is required, the others are optional.

NFS is based on SunRPC, you can ask the portmapper what ports
are registered for the various services using rpcinfo -p.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost