Re: cvs init

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 at 11:12:22 +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 01:46:00PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > As for the man page omission, maybe see if the bug is in upstream
> and
> > file a bug with them ;-) ?
>
> I can give it a go ;-) That is part of the point, "init" doesn't
> appear.
>
> > We could change the code to just not allow init of an existing dir
> at
> > all.
>
> ... and maybe
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_setup_a_cvs_server/
>
> which appears to do "mkdir mycompany"

Aside from the most recent upstream documentation* not being as
complete as we might like, there are two other general issues that
probably almost everyone knows of, but could be a bit of a stumbling
block for newer developers. One is that there are undocumented local
alterations and enhancements in the version NetBSD ships (there's more
than one PR open about this). The other is that the cvs(1) man page and
related info file NetBSD ships are missing fundamental commands that
are documented upstream, e.g., "add" and "remove" were examples, until
I fixed them the other day. (I happened to notice recently that "add"
was missing, which is why I started looking into this, but it wasn't at
the top of my to-do list.) And there's actually a PR open about "init"
being missing from NetBSD's distributed documentation: PR 45446. (And I
guess that wiki entry may need fixing, too.)

* The documentation shipped with CVS 1.11.23 is in some ways more
complete than what came with 1.12.13, because the 1.11 branch continued
to be maintained for a few years after the CVS project effectively
abandoned the 1.12 branch.

Also, part of why I'd referenced PR 45182 before is that there was a
broader issue raised in it: whether in general it's beneficial to
expect a "cvsadmin" group to exist locally to govern behaviour with
personal repositories. I imagine at this point the likelihood of
anything being reconsidered in this regard is low; it's more probable
NetBSD will move to a new VCS first.

Dave