Re: mfii0 kudos to bouyer@ Was Re: dmesg | grep -c "not configured" = 240...

On 04/12/2018 19:25, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 07:17:59PM +0000, Mike Pumford wrote:
One thing that surprised me was that I was testing with the USB install
image but instead of landing in sysinst I ended up at a a login prompt which
was unexpected. Could this be because the USB disk that was my root device
ended up as sd23 and there is a hard coded sd0 somewhere in the install
code?

No hardcoded sd0, but maybe the boot device matching did not properly work
for this case (depends on geometry and stuff that the bootloader gets
from bios USB emulation or something).

Not sure about boot device (I don't have the console in front of me) but it definately reported the rootfs as /dev/sd23a and mounted the rootfs automatically. Is there any particular output I should look for?

It is quite an ancient machine so the BIOS USB could be odd.

I'm happy to do a retest on Thursday when I've next got access to the system.

I had the same problem with an earlier boot of the same system (without the mpii disks powered on) in that case the rootfs was sd5 as the system has a usb multi-card reader that got detected first.

Mike