Re: ThinkPad - suspend-to-RAM intel-x86 issues and tests

Hi David,

David H. Gutteridge wrote:
FWIW, I'm able to get suspend and resume to work reliably on a Lenovo
T420 with NetBSD-8.0_STABLE. (With 8.99.x, it doesn't work as reliably
because the SATA driver seems to have issues after resumption which
don't occur with 8.0.) I didn't have to do anything of note to get it
to work, it just does, assuming there's nothing extra attached. (Read
on below.)

The T420 is a lot newer and is amd64 instead of x86.

On the other hand, I cannot get it to work on a Lenovo x131e (the AMD
CPU version, with Radeon graphics). With that machine, it resumes, but
the display stays dark. (This behaviour is consistent with most Linux
kernels I've tried as well, so there's something tricky about it.)

Yes, I have this issue on the T43 with ATI graphics, however it often does work and come back (but takes several secons) it is unreliable, but the only ThinkPad I have NetBSD on which sometimes suspends/resumes correctly.

Did you try disabling video in configure and then trying to suspend/resume after a clean boot?

Christos suggested to me disabling video and audio (things in my experience cause issue too).
I tried also fine-grained disabling based on dmesg devices.

However, I went down to bare-bones, leaving just internal hard disk and keyboard - disabling everything which I could (but perhaps I missed something) and yet it fails!

One other thing to consider is whether you have anything extra plugged
into the USB stack when you're trying to suspend. I've found having
pretty much anything plugged in (including a mouse) causes my T420 to
fail to completely suspend.

Indeed, I did all the test with a just clean-booted machine with no USB mouse, keybord, dongles or else.

It did not help.

Riccardo