Re: Redoing the code in /bin/sh to handle the issues in PR bin/48875

On 08/18, Robert Elz wrote:
> Does this actually help, or is all this text just making it less likely that
> the average script writer will ever read any of it?

I see your point.  Yes, this seems too long.  Maybe it would be more
appropriate in the POSIX sh shell book you were planning to write. :-)

I was thinking something short like what's in the Pipelines subsection
of the Description section of sh(1) right now:

  Because pipeline assignment of standard input or standard output
  or both takes place before redirection, it can be modified by
  redirection.  For example:

    $ command1 2>&1 | command2

  sends both the standard output and standard error of command1 to the
  standard input of command2.

But if there's no good way to give a short example like that, then I
rescind the suggestion; just forget it.

Lewis