Xorg problems

Trying to install -current on an AMD64 system that has been running NetBSD for years.  Having problems with X.  For some reason my setup never works correctly without having to install a customized xorg.conf file, and every new release of X acts differently.  So it’s always a treasure hunt to find the magic that works and I’ve had to do this on NetBSD and Linux.  The issue I have is that the auto configure feature in X never offers me the higher resolutions and screen sizes that match my monitor and are supported by my graphics card, so I have to use an xorg.conf file to force them.

With the last couple of updates to X I’ve found that the xorg.conf file generated with the “X -configure” command won’t work with “X -config xorg.conf.new”.  This happens on both NetBSD and Linux, but that doesn’t surprise me as it seems to be an issue with X.

However I’ve run out of things to try with -current. The xorg.conf file that works fine under NetBSD 7.1.2 won’t work with -current.  Ditto the file I’ve got working on LinuxMint 18.3.

The nouveau and vesa drivers don’t seem to find my graphics card, a GeForce 210.  The nv driver finds the card but then claims there are no compatible screens, and this is in the generated xorg.conf file and before I’ve tried adding the extra stuff for higher resolutions and screen size.

Anyone have some suggestions to try, other than falling back to 7.1.2?

Thanks,
-bob