What's with pkgsrc and checksums?

I'm used to being able to add local patches to pkgsrc, by putting the
patch file in the patches/ subdirectory of the package, and then just
doing "cd patches/; sha1 patch-my.new.patch >> ../distinfo".

Now, these fail like this (in this particular case, I've modified a
patch file, so I've replace its line in distinfo with the right one):

=> Applying pkgsrc patches for SDL2-2.0.7
**************************************
Ignoring patch file
/m/barsoom/pkgsrc/devel/SDL2/patches/patch-src_joystick_bsd_SDL__sysjoystick.c:
invalid checksum
**************************************
ERROR: Patching failed due to modified or broken patch file(s):
ERROR: /m/barsoom/pkgsrc/devel/SDL2/patches/patch-src_joystick_bsd_SDL__sysjoystick.c

OK, so I check:

: thuvia# ;/usr/pkgsrc/mk/checksum/checksum ../distinfo patch-src_joystick_bsd_SDL__sysjoystick.c
=> Checksum SHA1 OK for patch-src_joystick_bsd_SDL__sysjoystick.c

So what's changed?  I've been doing this for years...

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay