Re: Remove fortune quotes attributed to or providing admiration of Adolf Hitler [pr bin/52735]

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 10:04:41AM -0500, William D. Jones wrote:
> > Seriously, if you don't know who Hitler was and why quotes from him
> > should be seen
> in a certain perspective, you should take a lesson on modern world
> history and not run around being offended.
>
> It's not about being offended, it's about normalizing/trivializing his
> impact. Evidence: Clearly, little thought was put into whether
> these quotes belong in a silly Unix program, rather than history textbooks
> or museums which are equipped to temper the
> intended impact of the Nazi party.

As has been said elsewhere in this thread already: a lot of the behavior
of Adolf Hitler was quite normal or at least calculated to be normal.
There is no trivialisation going on here. While I can't stand his
choice in the tonal sense, he was a brilliant orator and there are many
useful quotes from him. Heck, he is often found on the list of most
inspirational quotes. If anything, there should be more and better
quotes from him in the database.

Joerg