Re: Remove fortune quotes attributed to or providing admiration of Adolf Hitler [pr bin/52735]

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat 18 Nov 2017 at 23:03:27 +0000, David Holland wrote:
>> You are completely missing the point of why those quotes are there.
>
> Such a remark is rather useless without stating why you think they are
> there. It does nothing to convince me, obviously.

I was hoping some context of the fortune program would emerge from
this discussion. I'll try.

It's a snapshot in time of the mindset of people creating the
forefather of this operating system and programs. I, personally, love
it. It's a reminder that this project didn't start out of a stuffy
commercial setting, which is unfortunately what FreeBSD is becoming
(my opinion only). It was different than the big commercial programs
that were dominating computing at the time. And it still is.

I'm about 99% sure that these messages causing offense were not put
there to offend, but to remind. Possibly to remind the developers why
they were doing what they were doing. Someone said earlier that, to a
large extent, offense is taken, not given. I mostly agree.

If they (the quotes causing offense) need to go I'm not that bothered
because they will still exist elsewhere to remind us of the wrong way
to behave. I guess my question is, why shouldn't they exist here if
they exist elsewhere?

Andy