Re: iscsi-initiator no longer compatible with librefuse

Hi Michael,

> On 2017-08-28, at 13:11, Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:25:15AM -0600, Sverre Froyen wrote:
>>
>> The only reason was that I discovered the iscsi-initiator/iscsi-target version first and they worked fine. Now, a quick test of the in-kernel version results in a stream of
>>
>> 	sd0(iscsi0:0:0:0): QUEUE FULL resulted in 0 openings
>>
>> after a few seconds of stress (performing a "cvs update -dP? on the netbsd-7 branch). It this point, the machine is non-responsive until a reboot. Light use seems to work OK.
>
> That message usually says that the target is either slow or lies in
> how many concurrent requests it can handle. It may stall the iscsi
> connection, but it shouldn't make the machine non-responsive. I haven't
> seen it forever, but I mostly test the in-kernel initiator against
> Linux, FreeBSD (FreeNAS) and istgt.
>

>> My setup is as follows:
>>
>> NetBSD-current VM running on a MacBook Pro OS X 10.12.6 under VMware Fusion.
>>
>> 10 GB filesystem image file on the Mac containing netbsd-7 served up using netbsd-iscsi-target from pkgsrc (yes, iscsi-target is running on the Mac).
>
> You run -current on the VM but have a netbsd-7 image attached?
>
> In my experience net/istgt is a much better iscsi target. No idea wether
> it builds or runs under MacOS.

I was able to get istgt working on my Mac host. Using the in-kernel initiator on NetBSD, I’ve run a cvs update on a netbsd-6 source image and rebuilt everything without any problems.

BTW, the istgt code in pkgsrc uses an initialized mutex, which apparently works on BSD but causes an error on MacOS. The attached patch appears to work.

>> PPS I notice that iscsi_initiator installs in /sbin whereas librefuse is in /usr/lib. Seems like iscsi_initiator (and iscsi_target?) should be moved to /usr/sbin.
>
> Hmm. iscsi-initiator and iscsi-target are both in /usr/sbin.
>
> iscsid and iscsictl are in /sbin.

You’re right. No idea how I concluded otherwise.

Thanks for your help!

Sverre