Re: NetBSD-current amd64 with dhcpcd connects only par

On 14/06/2017 23:59, Robert Nestor wrote:
> Not sure if this helps but noticed the user is using a cable modem connected to Time Warner.  I have the same type of connection on my amd64 system and I’ve noticed similar issues of not always being able to get connected via dhcp.  And like the original poster I sometimes switch between systems using this connection.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.
>
> What I’ve found is that I can’t get a new connection to Time Warner as long as it thinks my previous lease hasn’t expired or been released.  I either have to release the connection before switching between systems (NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, etc) or I have to reboot the Time Warner cable modem which seems to force the return of the lease on my assigned IP address.  When I do this I’ve always been successful getting a dhcp setup using either dhclient or dhcpcd.

This could be because each dhcp client on each OS uses a different
ClientID inside the DHCP transaction.

At least with dhcpcd you can control this on each one by sharing the
DUID file between hosts. It doesn't change once written (although if
dhcpcd writes it then it will change each time).
If the MAC address changes then specify the same IAID for each interface
in dhcpcd.conf across each OS as well. Example:

# NetBSD: bge0 is eth0 on Linux
interface bge0
    iaid 0xdeadbeef

# Linux: eth0 is bge0 on NetBSD