Re: building a kernel "the old way"

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 11:11:21 +0200, Christian Groessler wrote:
> Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 11:11:21 +0200
> From: Christian Groessler <chris%groessler.org@localhost>
> Subject: Re: building a kernel "the old way"
> To: port-macppc%netbsd.org@localhost, current-users%netbsd.org@localhost
>
> On 05/25/17 03:07, Valery Ushakov wrote:
>
> > Move your /etc/mk.conf out of the way temporarily.  I suspect you
> > might be running into some obscure corner cases of objdir handling.
> > See (emphasis mine):
> >
> >    nbmake[1]: stopped in /local/netbsd-src/OBJ/.../compile/GENERIC/lib/kern
> >
> > while
> >
> >    nbmake[1]: cannot open ../../../../../../lib/libkern/Makefile.
> >
> > seems to indicate it assumes you are running inside the src tree (not
> > in an objdir).
>

> Yes, I'm running inside the src tree (I thought that was clear from my
> posted command sequences).

Obviously that was clear.  What I meant is, that judging by the
../... prefix, that specific command thinks it's run from the specific
place inside the source tree, not from the corresponding specific
place in the objdir (that may or may not be inside the source tree
too).

> But this answer (and the other answer to run "make obj" before) put
> me on the right track.
>
> Moving mk.conf out of the way didn't help either.  Error message now
> indicated a missing directory in the /usr/obj tree.

Sorry, I always forget about /usr/obj magic.  As I said - obscure
corner cases of objdir handling.

As a general rule I think it's a bad idea to have anything directly
objdir related(*) in mk.conf and (not that I remember it) to have
/usr/obj.

(*) In case I'm not clear enough again, I mean MAKEOBJ* (generic) and
MKOBJDIRS (specific to netbsd source tree) variables.  Stuff like
OBJMACHINE is fine.

-uwe