Re: PulseAudio and OSS audio of recent NetBSD-current

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017, at 10:44, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> But you've got a point.  Falling back to OSS gives horrible sound
> quality from (lossless) rips of CDs, which are, as you say, 16 bit to
> begin with.  So what's the big difference from Pulse, then?

A possibly-related data point: having recently updated my kernel to one
that includes the in-kernel mixing, MIDI files played by timidity now
sound awful.  As far as I can tell, every note gets cut off as soon as
another note is played.  You can imagine what a mess that makes of
chords.  Before the kernel upgrade multi-part MIDI files played
normally.  This comparison is old-OSS vs new-OSS, not OSS vs pulseaudio.
That suggests to me that something has changed in the way the new OSS
code handles a series of sound samples sent to the same logical output.

That could be a completely unrelated problem of course, but it might
be a clue.

-- IDL