RE: WANTED: nvme(4) driver testing on MP systems on -current

I have the hardware and can test this out on amd

-----Original Message-----
From: port-i386-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost [mailto:port-i386-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost] On
Behalf Of Jaromír Dole?ek
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:54 PM
To: current-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: WANTED: nvme(4) driver testing on MP systems on -current

Hello,

NVMe driver in NetBSD-current was recently tweaked to fix several MP and
locking issues, and the driver is now marked as MPSAFE by default.

Most of this work was done on emulators since I lack the the hardware, so
it's not clear if everything would work properly on real systems too.

Anyone having the hardware, I'd appreciate if you could check the driver
out, and try to punish the drive by some heavy I/O test with parallel load
if possible, and report results.

The driver should work on i386 and amd64, and is enabled in INSTALL/GENERIC
kernels there, so you could just try to boot install iso from NetBSD daily
builds, and send-pr any issues.

I'd also especially welcome if someone with sparc64 system could test the
driver out, too.
The driver originates from OpenBSD where nvme(4) is enabled in GENERIC
sparc64 kernel, so it should work. But it was not confirmed yet on
NetBSD/sparc64. Note you might need fairly modern system, at least some
Intel NVMe cards require PCIe Generation 3 to actually work, so this rules
out e.g. T1s.

I'd also very welcome any benchmark results, it would be very interesting to
share some IOPS figures.

Let me know the results, I'd like to update driver manpage to list known
working hardware.

In any reports, please include the attachment fragment from dmesg, as there
is quite significant different between attachment via apic/INTx and
MSI/MSI-X.
Also useful would be intrctl(8) output, to confirm interrupt handlers are
dispatched properly to individual available CPUs.

Thank you.

Jaromir