Re: gmake segfaults with netbsd32 compat

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 06:27:01PM +0200, Pierre Pronchery wrote:
> On 09/15/16 08:44 AM, coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:
> >building with everything i386 except amd64 kernel or in i386 chroot and
> >amd64 host I have gmake repeatedly segfaulting. so much that I resorted
> >to using `while true; do make install; done` to get through building
> >packages.
> >
> >I don't recall having such trouble with all i386 and switching back to
> >it seems to help a lot.
> >
> >anyone seeing the same?
>
> Are you using PaX mprotect? Try to "paxctl +m gmake" just in case.
>
> HTH,
> --
> khorben

Seems to be doing much better after
  paxctl +a `which gmake`

Thanks for the suggestion.

Interesting it works well on i386, works well on amd64, but not in amd64
kernel with i386 userland.

When I looked around, I noticed it is making calls like
remake.c:319-320

      /* Clean up any alloca() used during the update.  */
      alloca (0);

The Internet told me "don't do that". Would that be possibly related?