Re: Identifying the NetBSD shell

  |     Date:        Tue, 22 Mar 2016 14:03:18 +0100
  |     From:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>
  |
  |   | I'm not sure I like *any* kind of implicitly defined environment
  |   | variable for this purpose.

Oh, and I missed, this is not to be an "environment variable", at least,
not in the common usage of that term - that is, the value should only be
visible inside the shell (so there, it appears as an environment variable
would, if one were to do, for some reason
	KSH_VERSION=1.2.3 /bin/sh
then /bin/sh would see "${KSH_VERSION}" set, and scripts might believe they
are running in ksh, with this new var it would be just like that, except
without requiring users to set it, and without the value being further
exported to chold processes.)

The thread I posted on tech-userlevel had more details, including some brief
discussion of preventing the new variable being exported from the shell,
to aid in avoiding the kind of lunacy mentioned just above, that I omitted
from this thread (by all means read the one message on tech-userlevel and
reply to that, it has much more content than this thread.)

kre