root on sd0a on odroid-c1

I've an odroid-c1 running current.  I'm trying to get the root file
system onto a USB disk and, I suspect, missing something obvious.

The default kernel has something like:

    config netbsd root on ? type ?

so I simply added root=sd0a to /boot/boot.ini's boot line.  That resulted in:

sdmmc1: sdmmc_mem_enable failed with error 60
sdmmc1: couldn't enable card: 60
boot device: <unknown>
unknown device major 0xffffffffffffffff
root device:
use one of: awge0 ld0[a-p] ddb halt reboot

Should this have worked?  Given the device, moving root to a USB drive
isn't that unusual.

Next I built a kernel with:

  config netbsd-sd0 root on sd0 type ?

and set root=sd0a in boot.ini, that resulted in:

sdmmc1: sdmmc_mem_enable failed with error 60
sdmmc1: couldn't enable card: 60
boot device: <unknown>
device sd0 (0x1800) not configured
root device: sd0a
use one of: awge0 ld0[a-p] ddb halt reboot

Perhaps I should have specified "root on sd0a"?

However, I get the feeling that there's more going on.  For instance,
just adding an entry to /etc/fstab to mount of /dev/sd0a on /mnt fails
during boot (fsck can't access /dev/rsd0a during the boot).  Yet once
the system is booted it works fine.

Andrew