rsync to anoncvs.NetBSD.org::cvsroot missing dirs?

I've been rsyncing against anoncvs (and/or mirrors) for ~years, without
issues. I've just noticed build issues, and tracked it down to the
following dirs missing from my rsync of the anoncvs repo:

src/external/gpl3/gcc.old
src/external/gpl3/gdb.old

Running a diff between a cvs checkout of the local rsync repo and a
cvs checkout direct from anoncvs seems to show quite a lot of stuff
missing from the rsync'ed repo (1854 dirs/files).
Permissions issue, perhaps?

FYI: I'm currently rsyncing against anoncvs.NetBSD.org::cvsroot
I assume this is still a somewhat supported method of keeping up
to date sources?

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds