Re: only one button recognised on my trackpad

On Mon, 11 May 2015, Brett Lymn wrote:

> I have a fujitsu lifebook S904 laptop running a recent-ish
> netbsd-current.  Thanks to some recent changes I have gone from no
> buttons to one button on my trackpad but I am sort of demanding and
> want some more buttons.  Linux (fedora core 20-something) and windows
> provide two buttons on the trackpad so it should be possible though I am
> confused as to how they do it.  When I do a debug boot I see:
>
> pms0 at pckbc1 (aux slot)
> pms0: Synaptics touchpad version 8.1
> pms0: synaptics_probe: Capabilities 0xd0a3.
> pms0: pms_synaptics_probe_extended: Extended Buttons: 0.
> pms0: pms_synaptics_probe_extended: Extended Capabilities: 0x94 0x03 0x00.
> pms0: pms_synaptics_probe_extended: Continued Capabilities 0x12 0x68 0x00.
> pms0: Extended W mode, Passthrough, Palm detect, One button click pad, Multi-finger Report, Multi-finger
>
> in the dmesg.  The capabilities reported are the same as the ones linux
> reports and if I decode them then, yes, I have a one button click pad
> but somehow linux does two buttons, though I can't work out how from
> their driver.  Anyone have any ideas?

When it gets a click, it checks where it was being touched.. if on the
left, its a left click and if on the right, its a right click..

essentially, the Apple Magic Mouse does this kind of thing, it only has a
single switch inside though it does handle the left/right differentiation
by itself. The btmagic(4) driver converts multiple finger clicks to
middle-click manually, as I found trying to delineate a central zone was
not clear enough (my finger is 25% of the width of the mouse surface)

It could be that some initialization is missing from our synaptics driver,
to enable it providing left/right clicks itself, or it could be that the
linux driver is doing it all possibly at a higher level?

regards,
iain