Re: default ipv6 route?

In article <D2DE8ADA-CA2D-4E57-B50C-CCAC8D27D97C%3am-software.com@localhost>,
Matt Thomas  <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:

>> On Apr 23, 2015, at 8:40 PM, Brett Lymn <blymn%internode.on.net@localhost> wrote:
>>
>>       inet6 fe80::76d0:2bff:fe2b:89bc%wm0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>
>That is a link local address is only good for communicating with other
>machines accesible from that interface.
>
>If you had â??realâ?? IPv6 youâ??d see something other than fe80::

One of my ISProviders is TWC. If you don't use DHCPv6, what you
end up is the link-local address for each interface (which you get
anyway), and a default route to the link-local address of the TWC
router (through RA's), which is not useful if you don't have a real
IPv6 address on any of your interfaces.

This made things work very slowly, because everything tried IPv6
first because of the default route (until it timed-out).

On the bright side everything works if you run dhcpcd, and you get
a delegated /64 too for your internal network.

christos