Re: why does dk(4) take precedence in boot device selection???

woods%planix.ca@localhost ("Greg A. Woods") writes:

>Am I missing something here that I could do to change the wedge
>configuration to avoid this issue?  Is it still so difficult to discover
>which device the boot loader booted the kernel from on such a
>semi-modern amd64 machine that the kernel can make such mistakes as
>this?  If dk(4) is auto-configuring can it not at least look to see if
>there's a valid filesystem on the device before it shoves itself in the
>front of the line as the supposed "boot device"?

The device drivers, including dk, do not 'shove itself' anywhere. There
are several, ugly, heuristics to guess which device and partition was
used to boot from, so that it be mounted as root.

Some of this could, in particular for x86, could be just removed. But
it might affects some edge cases.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost