Re: Help needed with a stubborn Gateway box!

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015, Bob Nestor wrote:

Just another thought on this problem.  There is a BIOS update that
Gateway published last month.  Don't know what it contains, but it may
help.  Also the manual indicates that before one can boot a recovery
backup on a USB the F12 Boot Menu must be enabled in the BIOS. I
wonder if this is the option that is prohibiting the booting of NetBSD
and any system that doesn't follow some WIndows magic.

I already have the F12 option enabled. It only provides a menu if there are at least two "valid" boot devices. (It also provides a menu if there is a CD drive present, but no media inserted and no other "valid" boot device.) With the F12 option disabled, it gives the standard BIOS complaint "Please select the correct device ..." even with a NetBSD install CD inserted in the CD drive.

I'm just going to get some parts and build a new box. It's too much work to figure this beast out. :)

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |