Help needed with a stubborn Gateway box!

After a long break from NetBSD (associated with my retirement and subsequent relocation to the Philippines), I'm trying to get back into the NetBSD world. The first thing I need to do is get a local machine installed.

The only machine I have available is a Gateway SX2185. It has an AMD E1-2500 APU (dual core at 1.4GHz), and Radeon HD8240. It came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed, but that's now no longer available. :)

The BIOS announces itself as "for Gateway only" so presumably they've done something special to prevent folks like me from loading some non-standard OS. I downloaded the boot.iso file from a recent HEAD build on nbftp and burned it to a DVD, but the BIOS doesn't recognize it.

Surprisingly, I just happen to have a Ubuntu 14.04.1 DVD from late July of last year, and this DVD boots just fine.

So, I figured I would just go ahead and install Ubuntu, and let it take care of setting up boot blocks etc on the hard drive. I planned to boot the resulting image, interrupt the boot, and ask it to load sysinst from by NetBSD media. (I planned to _not_ replace boot blocks during the install, so it would leave grub on the hard drive...)

Unfortunately, I know next-to-zero about grub, so I have no clue on how to ask it to load the CD. On-line grub docs are not much help, and the 'help' command within grub is pretty useless since it does not seem to have any ability to "more" or "less" or "page" its output (and so I only get a list of commands, starting with the letter 's' thru 'z').

So, any suggestions on how to proceed?

1) Is my plan to use the ubuntu-installed copy of grub to boot the NetBSD boot.iso media successful?

2) Is my plan to leave the ubuntu-installed copy of grub on the disk (rather than writing new boot blocks) going to work?

3) Is there some other way of getting this beast booted into NetBSD?

Thanks in advance for any clues you may have to offer.

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |