Re: language lawyering: ftello/fseek/pread edition

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Thomas Klausner wrote:
Petri Hintukainen pointed out a problem in the NetBSD headers about ftello/fseeko/pread:

https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/libbdplus-devel/2015-March/000039.html

Can someone please fix the issue, or explain why the argument is wrong?

It's a little difficult to extract a problem report from that message, because the message is oriented towards how a user can achieve a desired result given what NetBSD is doing, rather than how NetBSD should be changed to improve standards conformance.

I think the issue is: After #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 200112L and #include <stdio.h>, fseeko() and ftello() should be declared, but in some unspecified version of NetBSD they are not declared. Similarly, after #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 200112L and #include <unistd.h>, pread() and pwrite() should be declared but they are not.

I agree that fseeko(), ftello(), pread(), and pwrite(), should be declared when _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L. I see that NetBSD-current fails to do so. The obvious addition of "|| (_POSIX_C_SOURCE - 0) >= 200112L" in appropriate places in stdio.h and unistd.h should fix it.

--apb (Alan Barrett)