gpt booting status?

I am trying to set up GPT booting.  With netbsd-6 I

  took a 3T USB disk
  made a 1G gpt partition
  newfs'd it and unpacked sets
  ran "gpt biosbioot -i 1 sd0'
  ran installboot to /dev/rdk0 with bootxx_ffsv2
  copied /usr/mdec/boot to dk0

I would expect then that

  BIOS will load sector 0, which has gptmbr
  gptmbr finds index 1 and loads 2nd-stage loader
  bootxx_ffsv2 loads /boot
  /boot can load kernel

But trying to boot this disk on an old mac doesn't work.

So, I am wondering if my take on gpt booting (that on netbsd-6 and up it
works) right?  Can anyone share positive/negative experiences?

Is /boot not booted from gpt expected to be able to load kernels from
gpt partitions via "dev hd2a" or seomthing?

Is there some /boot command to list devices?