Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 12:38 PM
To: current-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: hysterical kernel config files

Musings from some historical kernel config files.

I see that INSTALL kernels no longer use -Os for smaller compiled code.
(INSTALL_TINY and INSTALL_FLOPPY still do but don't include GENERIC)
With -Os, drmkms fails with

--- drm_scatter.o ---
../../../../external/bsd/drm2/drm/drm_scatter.c: In function 'drm_sg_alloc':
../../../../external/bsd/drm2/drm/drm_scatter.c:83:10: error: 'sg' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Werror=maybe-uninitialized]
 dev->sg = sg;
         ^
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

options(4) mentions

    options MALLOC_NOINLINE
Time critical fixed size memory allocation is performed with MALLOC() and
    FREE().  Normally these expand to inline code, but with MALLOC_NOINLINE
these call the normal malloc() and free() functions. Useful for install
    media kernels, small memory systems and embedded systems.

but AFAICT nothing uses MALLOC_NOINLINE - obsolete?

Cheers,

Patrick

--
William D. Jones