Re: NetBSD considerations/limitations regarding SSD

Le 06/12/2014 02:56, bch a écrit :
Hi.

A story about SSD longevity
(http://techreport.com/review/27062/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-only-two-remain-after-1-5pb)
crossed my desk and that made me wonder: what's the state of NetBSD
and SSD ? Are there limitations, or special considerations I ought to
be aware of ? If I got a "Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch", for
example, can I expect to be able to format it, and use it like my
WAPBL UFS spinning-rust disk that I've got now ?

I am not familiar with SSD -- I remember reading that we added TRIM a while back. Not sure it makes a real difference for recent SSDs regarding their life span.

As far as experience can tel, I replaced two harddrives with SSDs (one crucial MX100 and one M500) on two personal systems (one acting as server, the other one being a desktop): never had a problem so far [*].

[*] if it corrupts file-system behind my back I can't tell really except by using mtree, and until now I have not seen any kind of report about data corruption.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon