Re: netbsd-7 ipfilter failure?

Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> writes:

> I can't find any documentation for the /etc/ipf6.conf file, so I don't
> know what the intended semantics of /etc/ipf6.conf are. ("man
> ipf6.conf" simply displays the ipf.conf man page, which does not
> explain the ipf6.conf file.)  The implementation in /etc/rc.d/ipfilter
> loads the ipf6.conf file with ipf(8) commands that use the "-6"
> command line option, which is documented as "This option is required
> to parse IPv6 rules and to have them loaded."
>
> The "-6" option is not documented to imply that any rules in the file
> are IPv6-only, so I think it's wrong to assume that rules in
> /etc/ip6.conf are IPv6 firewall rules; they are simply firewall rules
> that might or might not apply to IPv6, and you should further qualify
> the rules with "family" clauses that match the desired address family,
> or "from" or "to" clauses that imply an address family.

My impression has always been that ipf6.conf is loaded with -6 and
contains only IPv6 rules, and that ipf.conf is loaded without -6 and
contains only IPv4 rules.  I have not found this confusing or
troublesome.  On some systems I have fairly different v4 and v6 rules,
and they have worked as expected (from a 2-table separate-world POV).

Is there actually only one ruleset?   Are rules loaded with -6 actually
evaluated for IPv4 packets?

I wonder if the right fix is to document the separation, rather than to
suggest that people add extra keywords.