Re: No buffer space available

Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> writes:

> This doesn't necessarily mean that the buffer space is too small. It
> often also means that you try to send data faster than possible
> through the particular hardware.
> [...]
> It could be that the kernel address space is exhausted but this
> shouldn't really happen with default settings.

This rung a bell, and got me started looking for things that might be
other than default.  I found some stuff in /etc/sysctl.conf picked up
from https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/tuning_netbsd_for_performance/
a long time ago, when the machine had quite different tasks:

net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_auto=1
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_auto=1
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max=16777216
net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max=16777216
vm.filemax=20

Reverting those to their defaults solved my problem.

Thanks!

-tih
--
It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart
you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.  -Richard Feynman