Preparation for creating netbsd-7 branch

On behalf of the release engineering team, I am happy to announce that the release process for NetBSD 7.0 is now underway.

We will be creating the netbsd-7 CVS branch on or about July 26th, just under two weeks from today. The creation of this branch will mark the start of the Beta period, which is expected to last into September. Between now and branch time, our focus is on fixing bugs, updating documentation, and ensuring that the basics (build, installation, boot) work on as many platforms as possible.

How can you help?  Glad you asked!

1. Please make sure NetBSD-current can be installed and boots on hardware (or software emulators) you care about, it in your preferred configuration. *This is especially important for users of unusual or embedded hardware*. The latest builds, as always, can be downloaded from http://releng.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/builds.cgi - it's the "HEAD" builds we care about until branch time. If you encounter problems, please report them via send-pr (see http://www.netbsd.org/support/send-pr.html ), or at least a quick note to current-users.

2. Help to update documentation and release notes! The release notes for NetBSD are in the src tree, in src/distrib/notes [1]. As of this writing, many of those notes have not changed since the NetBSD 6.0 release - any patches against these release notes would be gratefully accepted.

3. Fix bugs that you find!  Send-pr with minor fixes, whatever you've got.

A more formal announcement will be made when the first beta binaries are available - in approximately two weeks.

[1] These notes are written in *roff mdoc. The *most* helpful thing is to provide patches against this code, but if you just want to provide updated text against, say, http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/201407131140Z/amd64/INSTALL.html (this link will disappear in the next few days, but the latest snapshot always has the latest notes) - that would be helpful, too.